Pretty much everything in our daily life sets us up to have tight hips. Sitting at work, driving, and other activities even during our leisure time can really do a number on the range of motion of your hip joints.
…And that can lead to aches and pains, reduced mobility, and even LESS activity! These exercises can start to reintroduce a wider range of motion.
3 Types Of Hip Mobility Exercises For A Wider Range Of Motion
Walking Hip Openers
- Take a step forward and lift the other leg’s knee up in front of you (hip height if you can), and then move it out to the side and around before stepping forward with it.
- Repeat on the other side, for a total of 10-20 steps and then do it in the reverse direction (walking backward, being careful to avoid obstacles).
Here is a Video Demo: https://youtu.be/AObp9R9VhUI
- Sit on the floor, your chest tall. One knee should be bent in front of you and the other one out to the side, both at a 90 degree angle.
- If you can’t get into this position, sit on a yoga block or other firm surface.
- Keeping your chest tall, rotate your upper body toward the knee in front of you (keeping your butt down). Then, rotate toward the leg on the side.
- Rotate 5-10 times back and forth and then repeat on the other side. Be sure to take your time and breathe as you do these movements.
Check out the Video Demo: https://youtu.be/S6dezbtxQFs
This exercise can be intense, but that’s because it’s so effective. The key is to take it slow and avoid forcing a wide range of motion.
- Get on your hands and knees, with your knees as wide apart as is comfortable. It can be helpful to place a doubled-up yoga mat under your knees for additional cushioning.
- The balls of your feet should be on the ground, with toes pointing outward.
- Slowly and gently rock back and forth, keeping your back flat, while thinking of “squeezing” the floor with your knees.
- Repeat for 6-8 repetitions, and then press back and hold the stretch for 30-60 seconds.
Here is the Video Demo: https://youtu.be/EStrEYXbpoY
We hope these strategies will help you not only to improve your hip mobility, but also feel AMAZING. You will probably notice a BIG difference in at least 1-2 of your joints.
Let us know how you feel and also stay tuned for our next blog as we are going to cover some more amazing exercises.
Subscribe to our Educogym newsletter and stay up to date with our offers, challenges, and health related info all coming straight into your mail box.