Hard to imagine that we are already in the third month of the year! Time really does fly, doesn’t it? Most of us started the year with a fresh set of goals and we diligently set about working on them. However life can sometimes get in the way, time becomes suddenly limited and we lose sight of our goals.
No doubt, you started the year motivated but suddenly finding yourself overloaded, overworked, distracted, and off track, it gets harder to stay focused.
If this situation sounds familiar to you, here is a 10 step plan – a checklist to help you stay on-track, no matter what goals you’re working on. Let’s jump in.
1. FOCUS & DECIDE. Instead of choosing several goals to work on all at the same time, harness all that energy and focus it on just 1-2 main goals.
2. Pick the goal with your BIGGEST WHY. This is the goal that you emotionally connect with and have a STRONG REASON for choosing. (example: “I want to have the energy to play with my kids.” – that’s a pretty big reason and something you need lots of ;-)). It’s your “WHY” that keeps you going, so it has to be a good one.
3. COMMIT (No, Really.) Commit the right amount of resources (time, energy, and attention) to make your goal a reality. Treat it like anything else important in your life – because it is!
4. MAKE A PLAN. Every Sunday, set aside 15-30 minutes to plan out your week and make sure you have what you need on-hand and ready to go.
Then, every night take 3-5 minutes to make sure you’re on track for the next day. This makes a HUGE difference!
5. TAKE ACTION. This is the most crucial step of all. You won’t reach your goals without consistent action. Do something daily that moves you closer to your goal.
6. GET SUPPORT & ACCOUNTABILITY. Tell trusted friends and family members what you’re working toward. Or even better, work with an experienced coach who will help you get (and stay) on-track with a proven programme.
When you have a “win” or a setback with someone in your corner, you have someone to share it with, and that will help spur your motivation to keep moving forward.
7. SET DEADLINES. Don’t skip this one! Without having a specific date to shoot towards, you don’t have any URGENCY to take action.
When you feel a clock ticking down toward your goals, it will help you light a fire of motivation.
8. REWARD YOURSELF. When you meet milestones along the way towards your goals, reward yourself with a healthy payoff! New shoes, workout gear, a book, or a massage are great choices.
9. MANAGE EXPECTATIONS. Making changes and going after goals can take time and effort. Be patient and stay the course!
Give your plan time to work … and know that some days will be easier than others.
Just keep repeating step 5 (taking action).
10. REEVALUATE. Do a quick evaluation of where you’re at every few weeks. Are you smashing it and staying on track? (woohoo!)
Or, are you following the plan?
Or, are you following the plan and it’s not working?
This is where a coach can make a big difference – because they have an experienced, big-picture view of your goals and can help you accelerate your results. Specifically, if you have fitness or wellness goals on top of your list, we are here to guide and create a personalised plan to make it easy for you to achieve success.
These are the simple steps that keep you motivated and help in conquering your goals. Please share it with your friends if you find it useful. What do you do to keep yourself stay focused? Do share with us.
Subscribe to our Educogym newsletter and stay up to date with our offers, challenges, and health related info all coming straight into your mail box.